Academic Employees

Your role as an employee

If you have a disability or become disabled, you have the right to a reasonable accommodation needed to do your job. If you need an accommodation, contact your Department Chair, Academic Personnel Office, or the Disability Management Coordinator (831/459-4602).

Your role as an employer

If you hire student or staff employees, you should make sure that your hiring process does not disadvantage applicants with disabilities. When you supervise employees with disabilities, you are responsible for ensuring appropriate accommodations are provided when requested. For example, you may need to arrange for a sign language interpreter for a deaf applicant, or slightly modify the way a job is done for a person with a learning disability. For guidance, contact Academic Personnel Office, Student Employment, or the Disability Management Coordinator (831/459-4602).

Your role in the classroom

When you teach classes, you must provide reasonable accommodation to students with disabilities who request such accommodation. For example, a student with a vision impairment or learning disability may need enlarged print; a student with a hearing impairment may need to have all video presentations closed-captioned. The Disability Resource Center is a resource for faculty, teaching assistants, and other academic personnel. For more information on academic accommodations, please read the Faculty Resources page on the Disability Resource Center's Website; or contact the Disability Resource Center directly (831/459-2089).

If you receive a complaint from a student with a disability, we suggest you do not try to handle the matter on your own.  Please refer them to the Disability Resource Center (831/459-2089), Conduct and Community Standards Office (to file a grievance), or the campus ADA Compliance Officer (831/459-4380). You may also seek advice regarding how to handle the matter from the resources listed above.

Your role in sponsoring events and programs

If you are involved in any activities that are open to the public (such as a lecture series, conference, a performance, or a social event), you are responsible for providing reasonable accommodation to participants with disabilities, including members of the public . All events open to the public must be held in accessible locations. For more information, please see the Accessing University Programs page of this website.

Your role in web access

If you maintain a web page, please follow good coding practices, which include making web content accessible. Advice and information is available on ITS' Accessible Technology page.